Open Space for Arts & Community seeks an experienced technical director to join our team.
Open Space for Arts & Community seeks a Technical Director with exceptional organizational, time management, and communication skills. The Technical Director is responsible for the day-to-day administration and details of Open Space venues, equipment, and productions. This may include supervision of event crew and staff, tracking of production budgets on a daily basis, and coordinating scheduling and rentals of venues and equipment. This is a professional salaried position.
Our mission: Open Space for Arts & Community is where Vashon gathers to celebrate the unbreakable bond between arts and community. We co-create extraordinary artistic, community-building experiences that enrich and inspire all involved.
The Technical Director manages scheduling and oversees all Open Space venues, equipment, and related staff on a day-to-day basis. They are the primary point of contact and troubleshooter for venue rentals after initial contracts have been signed. They are responsible for the planning and implementation of major capital projects related to the artistic use of the facility.
The Technical Director’s primary function during in-house productions is to organize, prepare, and directly supervise the venues, technical equipment, and crew for load-in, performance, and strike. The Technical Director coordinates the schedule of the production to determine days needed for each stage of the production (pre-production, load-in, tech, performance, and strike). They coordinate with the creative director to organize and schedule the crew, equipment, and facilities needed for each event.
The Technical Director’s primary function for rentals is as the primary point of contact and troubleshooter after initial contracts have been signed. They coordinate all scheduled access to venues and equipment. They supervise Open Space production support staff, including technicians and additional crew, during the rental period. They organize and facilitate the preparation of venues and equipment before the beginning of the rental period.
- Manage the daily schedule of all Open Space venues.
- Coordinate the logistics of each production/rental including scheduling, hiring, and production budgeting.
- Develop, maintain, and approve all layouts, floor plans, cue sheets, and tech schedules for Open Space events. Approve layouts for rental events.
- Create agendas and direct Open Space production meetings.
- Manage and maintain technical theater systems including lights, sound, rigging, and projection equipment. Supervise related personnel.
- Lead planning and implementation of major capital projects for the artistic use of Open Space venues.
- Supervise and collaborate with Production Team
- Track goals, report results, recommend adjustments
- Coordinate and schedule with Building Maintenance Manager
- Participate in programming meetings as needed for consultation on upcoming project technical needs
- Embrace the mission, vision, core competencies, and values of Open Space for Arts & Community
- Have demonstrated knowledge and experience in productions and stagecraft
- Have direct experience working with light/sound and other technical gear for performances and events
- Demonstrate excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Be self-motivated, solution-oriented, and consistent
- Ideally, be a Vashon Island resident and be involved in the island community or have excellent knowledge of the island.
- Have excellent follow-through on short-term tasks and long-term goals
- Have strong initiative, be goal-driven, and enjoy working independently and with the Production Team, Open Space staff, and community groups
- Be proactive, anticipating problems and developing effective solutions
- Exhibit highly professional verbal and written communications skills
- Maintain confidentiality of communications and proprietary information
- Be highly collaborative; have excellent interpersonal skills with a high level of professionalism
- Demonstrate excellent customer service internally and externally
- Demonstrate excellent time management, be punctual and reliable
- Multitask comfortably and switch rapidly from one focus to another
- Show a positive attitude, empathy for people and community, self-confidence, and good listening
- Have a BA/BS degree
- Have a minimum of four years’ professional experience in the technical aspects of theater and events
Salary range and hours: $50,000 to $67,000 FTE DOE, beginning at 20-30 hours/week and ideally ramping up to full time in 2022. Salaried and exempt. No calls, please.
To apply, please send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Open Space for Arts & Community is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to equal opportunity without regard to age, race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, sexual orientation, citizenship, disability, pregnancy, maternity, marriage, civil partnership, citizenship, disability, or any other basis of discrimination prohibited by applicable law.